Stopped in to look at Chickahominy on the way by today. The measuring tape said that there is around 10" of visibility at the boat ramp, give or take an inch. Still not what we are looking for, but improving. However, with more rain coming the first part of the week, I'm not exactly holding my breath. With the crazy spring we have been experiencing, it's just been a wait and see game. Day after day. Week after week.
Haven't received any other reports recently, which isn't too surprising given the rain, wind and occasional bolt of lightning we keep getting gifted. Hopefully the weather improves soon, the waters clear, and we can start fishing and sharing reports. Until then, friends, just don't turn too blue in the face from the breath holding!
I've received a couple reports this week that the visibility at Chickahominy has not improved. In fact, 5" seems to be the consensus. The cold weather this week (I saw 17 deg here one morning!) should have slowed down any leftover melt, minimizing possible muddy inflow. We are being greeted with warm weather this coming week, starting today, so will see what that does to the reservoir.
The Blitzen was steadily falling nicely into the 300's, with the flow stable the last 24 hours right at the 300 cfs mark. Again, warmer temps will most likely cause some remaining lower elevation snow to liquefy and raise the level, so if you have plans on fishing it soon, keep an eye on the USGS website and look for falling flows into the 200's.
WINTER KILL: This week, ODFW reported that both Yellowjacket and Delintment suffered a winter kill, so don't anticipated much in terms of holdover trout in those locations. From reports of poor fishing in local BLM ponds, I wouldn't be surprised if they have encountered the same fate.
So for now, keep on tying, practice double hauls, and wait for the coffee to change into a light tea...